Santissimo Crocifisso dei Miracoli
Upon entering Borgo San Lorenzo we reach the SS.Crocifisso dei Miracoli Oratory
. It was built in the 18th century to hold a wooden Crucifix, possibly by Giovanni Pisano (14th century). The crucifix was left here in the 15th century by some German pilgrims who were fleeing from the plague. In fact, just above the high altar, we find a deep niche in which the cross is kept. The niche is hidden by a heavy 19th century curtain which, run by a mechanical device, moves up and down unveiling the cross for the devout on important occasions. Numerous miracles have been attributed to the Crucifix: the end of the plague in 1400, minor damage to Borgo San Lorenzo in the violent earthquake of 1542, the liberation of the territory from the French in 1799.
Open every day. Tel.+39 055 8459088
For all information about: www.itinerarioliberty.it